Monday, August 27, 2012

Bread, Yogurt and eating on Less

In an earlier post I mentioned I was going to make bread and yogurt.
Well this weekend I did both.

I found Ma Bacon on Pinterest.
I was very interested in her post: Feed a family of 6 under $200 a month.
That was right up my alley, our food budget is more than doubled that amount. I am always interested in how large families ( folks with more than 2 kids) do it.
 More on that later.

First the bread.
 Ma Bacon's Bread
Let me say this recipe is an exercise in patience.
It takes 10 days, yes 10 DAYS to work its magic.
I will be the first to admit that I am not a super patient person. However I really like baking so I thought this would be fun or at least interesting.
By day 8, I was going to email Ma Bacon and ask her does it really need 10 days to get to the end result.
Whether it needs it or not, I waited. And I am glad I did.
It turned out great :). It was so good that DH asked if I was going to pin it on Pinterest (Nah it's Ma's Recipe) and my Blog. I thought my blog would be fine, since only two people are reading it now anyway-Woohoo!
 We made Chocolate muffins and Cherry Cheesecake Loaves.
It was really good, we have already gone through half of muffins and 1 whole loaf-in less than 30 hours.
This upcoming weekend we will make Vanilla and maybe a spiced one.

 Ma Bacon's Yogurt
I also got the yogurt recipe from Ma as well. It was my second time making the yogurt and I strained it through a strainer and cheese cloth. I brought it for my afternoon snack, I can't wait to see how it turns out.
Her yogurt recipe is really easy to understand.
Oh read her tips at the end it really helps understand more of the process before you make it.

Pictures...I gotta do pics next time!
Happy patient baking...

1 comment:

  1. The bread was worth the wait and I'm proud of you for holding out the whole 10 days. :-)

    Next time leave more of the chocolate bread out of the freezer though. Shoop.

    ReplyDelete